The Village of Marathon City has been part of the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation’s Connect Communities Program since June of 2014. The program is an initiative that works with communities to advance downtown and urban corridor revitalization efforts.
The Connect Communities Program provides access to resources and training to help communities pursue revitalization and redevelopment efforts. The program is designed to support and complement the Wisconsin Main Street program, which has supported projects statewide resulting in the creation of more than 4,500 new businesses and 17,000 new jobs since the program’s inception in 1987.
Connect Communities participants benefit from a variety of assistance and resources simply by being part of a broad-based network of communities with similar objectives, but specific program services include:
- A ListServ/network group to get new ideas from staff and other participating Connect Communities
- Participation in Main Street workshops focused on a downtown revitalization topic
- An on-site visit from one of WEDC’s community development staff to assist in identifying needs and offering assistance
- Training for downtown director or board president
- Roundtable discussion groups on pertinent topics
- Access to WEDC’s downtown development online library
- Access to resources and training materials developed for Wisconsin Main Street communities
- Invitation to the annual Main Street Awards program, plus eligibility to nominate a project for a Connect Communities award
- Quarterly webinars/regional training